top of page
  • Writer's pictureSheryl Lyons

DIY Replacing Tires on Hand Truck ๐Ÿ› ๐Ÿงฐ๐Ÿ’ช



The most challenging DIY project is trying to disassemble something that wasn't built to be disassembled, easily or otherwise. That's what I encountered when I went to replace the busted tires on my hand truck. I knew I needed to remove what I eventually learned was called a pushnut, but it was almost impossible to get a pry bar under that pushnut. It would have been easier if they used a connector with a cotter pin or something that could be loosened. I essentially had no choice but to damage the pushnut to remove the wheel.


I was so frazzled after wrestling with those wheels for over an hour that I broke a cardinal DIY rule. I threw the busted-up pieces of pushnut in the trash. I took a few photos, but when you don't know the name of the part, you need to bring that part with you to the store. When I got to my local Ace, they had no idea what the part was, and it became a bit of a mystery with multiple workers and myself wandering around the store. I finally found the closest thing, but the sizes stopped at 1/2", and I needed 5/8". I bought the next closest part in the 5/8" size, but I am concerned that it will quickly fail, given the harsh treatment I dole out to that hand truck.


I searched on Amazon to see if I could find the actual pushnut, and the description started with "Hard-to-Find," and I knew I didn't need to read further.


The connectors are almost impossible to remove without damaging them, and the replacement parts are hard to find. That combination turns a simple DIY project into an exhausting and frustrating afternoon.

2 views0 comments
bottom of page